Meeting Agenda – September 16, 2018 (e-mail only)
- Minutes from February 17, 2018 meeting forwarded to members for review – vote to approve will take place at HS auditions.
- Please review changes that were voted upon and approved:
- Symphonic Band / Concert Band instrumentation flipped for both MS and HS – making the Symphonic Band smaller, more “elite” (for lack of a better word) and the Concert Band larger. Should increase the quality of both groups.
- MS Scale Requirements – 1 Warm-Up Scale / 2 graded scales
- Prepared Pieces for both MS and HS auditions are having the finishing touches put on by
Mike Oare and will be forwarded to member directors this week.
III. Review of Event Dates / Sites for 2018-19
VBODA District 6 Event Sites / Dates for 2018-2019
- September 16 Fall Meeting (Location – Online/e-mail)
- September 22 SRO Auditions (strings) @ Charlottesville HS
- September 24 SRO Auditions (winds & perc) @ Orange County HS
- Oct. 7 & 8 All VA Jazz Auditions (site info: http://www.vboda.org/index.php/audition-info-jazz.html)
- Oct. 18 VBODA State Marching Assessment @ City Stadium – Lynchburg
- October 26, 27 SRO Audition (alternate date)
- 9 &10 Senior Regional Orchestra @ Fluvanna HS
- November 13-15 All VA Jazz Band at The Homestead
- November 15-17 VMEA Conference at The Homestead *
- December 8 HS All-District Band Auditions @ Franklin Co HS
- Jan. 12 MS All-District Band Auditions @ Fieldale-Collinsville MS
- Jan. 26 JRO Auditions @ Jack Jouett MS in Charlottesville
- Feb. 1 & 2 HS All-District Band @ Martinsville High School
- Feb. 15 & 16 MS All-District Band @ Salem HS
- Feb. 23 All-VA Band & Orchestra Auditions @ JMU
- March 6 Orchestra Concert Assessment @ Heritage HS
- March 7 & 8 HS Band Concert Assessment @ Blacksburg HS
- March 14 & 15 MS Band Concert Assessment @ Auburn HS
- March 22 & 23 Junior Regional Orchestra @ Eastern Mennonite School in Harrisonburg
- April 4-6 All-VA Band & Orchestra @ Greater Richmond Convention Center
- * Trey Harris will be presenting a clinic on creating a culture of excellence in rural communities. All District VI members are urged to attend and offer support.
- Event Hosts / Sites for 2019 – 2020 – If you’re interested in hosting auditions or the AD Event, please let me know. It’s never too early to get these knocked out and on the calendar!
- VBODA Marching Assessment – Directors are reminded that Copyright License Information is due by October 1st. More info here: http://www.vboda.org/index.php/article-display/448-marching-assessment-copyright-information.html
- Next District Rep – Start thinking about who you might like to serve as our district in the next term. I will be willing and able to help the “next up” during the transition next year. Nominations will begin in February.
VII. See you in December or at a Marching Band show along the way! – Meeting Adjourned. J